Los Angeles group Superhumanoids is more than just upbeat warm weather tunes filled with milky guitar and synth melodies. Blending years of sunshine-pop tune influence into a collective of impressive EPs, their upcoming full length Exhibitionists will most likely be a tasty blend. The track “Geri” borrows not only a smidge of New Order’s atmospherics but their loftiness as well. The song almost sounds like a lost track from the Drive Soundtrack and the male/female vocal style doesn’t sound forced but organic. This morphable group also manages to channel a Depeche Mode weariness with last year’s Parasite Paradise EP, which is kept in line by irrepressibly steady synths for a grin-inducing listen. I’m pretty psyched to know these guys are finally pumping out a full album of tunes. It’s about time.
So tonight, tomorrow night, and Wednesday night; the Superhumanoids will be opening for Cold War Kids at their residency shows at the Bottom of the Hill. All of which are sold out! However, if by any means you are going tonight or all three nights, get there early and catch these guys spread all their synthy glory all over your faces (that sounds wrong).
We’ll also be trying to catch them at this year’s SXSW from March 13th to March 18th. So stay tuned for that. In the meantime, purchase their Parasite Paradise EP here.
Now without further ado, here’s Max, Sarah, and Cameron as they answer this week’s world famous Kuestionnaire in ALL CAPS. Just imagine they’re yelling to you from across the room.
1. Could you state your name and what you do in the band?
OUR NAMES ARE MAX AND SARAH. CAMERON IS SITTING ACROSS THE ROOM.
WE DO IT ALL.
2. How would you describe your sound?
LIKE SLIPPING INTO A WARM BATH OF MILK.
3. What is your favorite local band?
PAPA. EVAN VOYTAS. MINI MANSIONS.
4. Any concerts that blew your mind recently?
5. Any non-musical influences you would like to mention?
THE MOVIE “SENNA”. BREAKFAST. LUNCH. DINNER.
6. If your music was to be the theme of a film/TV show, what would it be?
7. What musician/artist would you like to collaborate with for a day?
NICK CAVE OR KATE BUSH.
8. What is the album you listen to on a cold rainy day?
KURT VILE “SMOKE RING FOR MY HALO”
9. List four songs you would listen to on a roadtrip?
QUEEN “THE PROPHET SONG”
CLIVE TANAKA Y SU ORCHESTRA “NEU CHICAGO”
NEIL YOUNG “TELL ME WHY”
AL GREEN “HAVE YOU BEEN MAKING OUT OK”
10. Where do you see yourselves in 7 years?
ESSENTIALLY IN AN EPISODE OF THE JETSONS.
11. What is the last book you read?
TOUCHING FROM A DISTANCE BY: DEBORAH CURTIS
12. Is image a factor in music or is it a waste of time?
OF COURSE IT IS A FACTOR. THATS WHY BANDS MAKE VIDEOS. SELL T SHIRTS. PUT ON EYELINER…
13. Any embarrassing moments on stage you would like to share?
14. Any favorite tour locations?
LONDON. NEW YORK. BARBADOS
15. Lastly, what is your present state of mind?
A LITTLE STONED, BUT MOSTLY JUST STRUNG OUT ON COFFEE. HAPPY. HONESTLY, ID LOVE ANOTHER LAYER OF CLOTHING. ITS COLD IN THIS ROOM. ENOUGH ABOUT US. HOW ARE YOU? TELL US EVERYTHING….