Jason Lytle and Aaron Burtch of Grandaddy will join together with Aaron Espinoza and Ariana Murry of Earlimart to create the wonderfully humorous and intelligent Admiral Radley this Wednesday (February 23rd) at the Bottom of the Hill with our favorite Bay Area indie-pop rockers Social Studies as part of this year’s Noise Pop Festival. The band’s debut album, I Heart California (The Ship, 2010), utilizes the best of both band’s songwriting abilities and lyrical wittiness that is all wrapped up into one big tongue-in-cheek tribute to the Golden State. It was a long time coming but it’s a worthy addition to anyone’s respectable music collection.
The Vapor Room Presents:
Typhoon, Social Studies, Fake Your Own Death
Wed, February 23, 2011
Doors: 7:00 pm / Show: 8:00 pm
Bottom of the Hill
San Francisco, CA
This week we snagged Admiral Radley / Grandaddy member Jason Lytle for a special Noise Pop edition of the Kuestionnaire as he tells us his favorite ultra obscure local act.
1. Could you state your name and what you do in the band?
jason lytle. guitar, vocal ,keyboard, tambo
2. How would you describe your sound?
kinda like Grandaddy, kinda like Earlimart
3. What is your favorite local band?
Some guy here in Montana named “one eyed Bob” who has synth’s and a mixing board wired up in his Chevy van .
4. Any concerts that blew your mind recently?
Sorry , no, I dont go to concerts
5. Any non-musical influences you would like to mention?
The cruise control function in my van. I love it.
6. If your music was to be the theme of a film/TV show, what would it be?
my heavy metal side project for the new show called “Burning down the Hoarder Houses”
7. What musician/artist would you like to collaborate with for a day?
Emily Haines from Metric
8. What is the album you listen to on a cold rainy day?
Phillip Glass Soundtrack from “The Hours”
9. List four songs you would listen to on a roadtrip?
Old man from the Mountain-Merle Haggard
Breakin the Law- Judas Priest
Everything means nothing to me -Elliott Smith
young turks – Rod Stewart
turn to Stone -ELO
10. Where do you see yourselves in 7 years?
on a remote mountain peak, in a hut, editing some vocal overdubs in Pro Tools
11. What is the last book you read?
“No shortcuts to the top” Ed Viesturs
12. Is image a factor in music or is it a waste of time?
Yes it is. And all of this is a waste of time…so lets enjoy it while we can
13. Any embarrassing moments on stage you would like to share?
Photos of me playing live are just horrible. When Im 100 years old I’ll be fine with one solitary photo of me sitting with a guitar as a reminder of my past life in music , but I have no interest EVER in seeing another live photo of me again.
14. Any favorite tour locations?
HomeSlice Pizza Austin TX…… Norway … The Partisan in Merced California.
15. Lastly, what is your present state of mind?
Focused , tweaked out on caffeine, and itching to get outdoors.