For a group of guys with such diverse backgrounds in styles like folk, blues, metal, hardcore and punk, Against Me! displays an overall output of rich melody, hooks and overall well-crafted song arrangements with each album. With this this year’s White Crosses; we get a very bouncy and powerful album complete with blasting up-tempo choruses with uplifting texture and depth, all the while perfectly showcasing singer Tom Gabel’s smokey vocal style. This year Bonnaroo decided to line them up at the This tent with fellow punk/folk/rockers Lucero, Dropkick Murphys, Japandroids, and Rise Against. Which sounds like a killer tour if you ask me. Anyway, the wonderful thing about Against Me! is their ability to achieve crossover fans. Their style of folk-punk has always been easy to love for anyone that is a fan of genuine storytelling and songwriting. And what better place to get crossover fans than Bonnaroo?
You can purchase White Crosses [Limited Edition] here.
This time around we have Against Me! bassist Andrew Sweard for part three on our Bonnaroo Kuestionnaire Series as he shares his love for FLOOR (who you should check out if you know what’s good for you).
1. Could you state your name and what you do in the band?
Andrew Seward / Bass
2. How would you describe your sound?
That’s best left to you. What do you think we sound like? Bam, turned the question on you.
3. What is your favorite local band?
Well…..I’m going to cheat and go with kinda local. Ninja Gun from Valdosta, GA are putting out some of the best songs I’ve heard in years.
4. Any concerts that blew your mind recently?
FLOOR at Common Grounds in Gainesville. I think it was about 2 months ago. FLOOR played 3 or 4 reunion shows. I had never gotten to see them. Blew my mind how loud, heavy, and epic they sound live. If you haven’t heard FLOOR…..do yourself a favor. Get the S/T LP. If you don’t like it…..well, something must be wrong with you.
5. Any non-musical influences you would like to mention?
I would say that being able to travel the world influences us greatly.
6. If your music was to be the theme of a film/TV show, what would it be?
ALF or a random History Channel show.
7. What musician/artist would you like to collaborate with for a day?
It would be awesome to play with John Bonham if he was alive of course.
8. What is the album you listen to on a cold rainy day?
Mumford and Sons ‘Sigh No More’
9. List four songs you would listen to on a roadtrip?
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers ‘Rebels’, The Replacements ‘I Will Dare’, The Streets ‘Original Pirate Material’, Baroness ‘The entire Blue Record’. Sorry I put a whole record on there. Let’s pretend it’s a longer road trip. I mean……a 4 song roadtrip is pretty damn short.
10. Where do you see yourselves in 7 years?
Don’t know. Don’t think about it. Just keep going.
11. What is the last book you read?
‘My Life Recording The Beatles’ by Geoff Emerick
12. Is image a factor in music or is it a waste of time?
Madonna does it well.
13. Any embarrassing moments on stage you would like to share?
Busting ass on a slippery stage is never fun, but hey……shit happens.
Against Me! – Because Of The Shame from White Crosses (2010)
[mp3] Ninja Gun – Restless Rubes from Restless Rubes (2008)